
Ever since Austin was born it seemed like he would spit up and or vomit after he ate. It wasn't too much at first, but when my milk came in I really started to notice it. Right after he ate, I would burp him he would throw up what seemed to be the entire feeding! When we went in for his 3 day check up he had gained weight and surpassed his birth weight. The doctor told me that unless he fusses, he may just be a happy spitter-upper. I was glad he was gaining weight but I dreaded feeding him because I knew it would end up everywhere! I even tried to supplement with formula thinking maybe it was my breast milk. He spit that up too. The following week the spitting up seemed to be getting worse. It started gushing out his nose and mouth at the same time and was projecting!!! Then he would start choking. It was really scary. I would have to get paper towels out before each feeding to get ready. This went on for a week. Jeremy and my mom convinced me that this wasn't normal spit up and so Jeremy talked to his uncle in Texas who is a pediatric surgeon and he recommended we take him in right away, because of the symptoms he thought he had to be tested for pyloric stenosis. When we took him in the next morning they weighed him and he had only gained 3 ounces. The doctor sent us to the hospital right then to get an ultrasound which tested for PS and of course, it came out positive. That is when the pyloric muscle is enlarged and blocks the milk from entering the small intestine. So when he would drink his stomach would fill up and the milk had no place to go, so he would throw it up. That afternoon we were admitted and the doctor said he would have the surgery the next morning. They had to put an IV in his head to get him hydrated. He was such a brave little boy, Jeremy said he was already tougher than him and Chuck Norris combined for what he went through! He had a successful surgery on Dec 31 and I got to spend New Years Eve with him in the hospital and we were able to come home New Years day after he kept a few feedings down.

8 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about what little Austin has had to go through! I'm glad that the doctors figured it out quickly though, and that he is home! I hope you all are trying to get rested and settled into your new life as a family of four. You all are such a cute family, and our thoughts and prayers are with you as you all heal from this experience. Best wishes for 2011! :) Love, Kim :)
Poor lil' guy!! Good thing you caught it early and I'm so glad you are all doing well.
Poor little guy. I hope he is doing better and gaining some weight. Congrats again! I hope you are getting some sleep.
What a scary time! I hope that he heals quickly! What a sweet family of 4!
Poor little thing!!! Thank you for updating your blog!!! I hope he heals quickly! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
poor little guy! :( I'm so sorry -- I had no idea! Was your mom still in town for Kylee? Please let me know if you need anything!
Wow what a trooper. Hope you are getting some rest and he is doing better!
OH MY GOODNESS! Sorry I'm a little late on the update... That sounded horrible!!! I am sooo glad everything turned out okay! Thats crazy! Technology is wonderful now a days! I hope you guys have all recuperated by now! :) Take care!
Post a Comment